Saturday, September 18, 2010

Blip

I had such grand plans for yesterday, what with handing out eye patches all day, and planning an ice-cream social for the custodial staff, and grading papers and finishing off a pile of make-up work. As the proverb says, if you want to see God laugh, make plans.

I took off yesterday right before first period to come take care of my mom, who was being treated at a local hospital for a heart attack. She's doing much better now, and I hope she can go home this weekend, but it was so odd--quite literally, one moment, I'm helping sophomores tear into a box of eye patches and stickers, and the next moment I'm calming my sister down on the phone and getting a sub.

Many thanks to my cooperative students, for rolling with it; to Mrs. Speer, for getting me a sub in less than 14 minutes, and to Dr. McMillen, for being unilaterally supportive. I think we are out of the woods (for now) and I am posting this as a friendly reminder that life can change in an instant, so hug the people closest to you and tell your parents how much you love them. Please.