Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Oh, Frabjous Day!!!

Gifted English II: Review Content Vocabulary for Friday's Amazing Quizlet, then finish Act V. Act V questions will be turned in TODAY unless you need extra time. Tomorrow--a weird little activity, and a class vote. And by "weird" I mean "academically weird," not "Weird Science" weird.

AP Lit and Comp: TP-CASTT of "The Chimney Sweep" and a brief introduction to Wordsworth. (Isn't that a cool name for a poet? WORDS and WORTH? I've been contemplating pseudonyms lately and I wish I could come up with something cool, like Natasha Myinkisrunningdry or Victoria M. Verisimilitude (M for Metaphor!) Never mind. I'll just be Anonymous.)

CELL PHONE ABUSERS: You are either staring into your lap with disproportionate wonder or leaving your handbag strategically on your desk. I know what you're doing. Your classmates know what you're doing. I plan to address this in class, AGAIN, but let's be clear: I know that in this day and age, one must surgically remove electronic devices from one's audience. Teachers are bad about this, too, in meetings and such,but I try diligently NOT to be so rude as to stare at a little glowy screen over the underpaid educator earnestly trying to tell me something. Thus, I expect the same from you. Surely you have a student assistant period or a lunch break or, oh, I don't know, an AFTERNOON in which you can text yourself stupid, but please don't do it in my class when I am trying to teach you. School policy lets me take your expensive toy from you, and then your parental unit has to come to school to retrieve it and then you will have some 'splaining to do. Let's not be enemies, but let's be clear: I HATE CELL PHONES IN CLASSROOMS. I bought a device to prevent their use, but turns out that violated a federal law or something, so I have to rely on adolescent integrity. Oh, man. KEEP THE PHONE OUT OF SIGHT AND SET TO STUN AND WE WILL BE FINE. And keep your handbags off the desks and your eyes off of your laps; everyone will feel better about that last bit. It's just creepy.