Saturday, January 24, 2009

Registration, Tax Season, and FCAT Writes!

General Announcements:

1. Registration for upcoming classes will begin soon; the curriculum leaders will receive a calendar next Wednesday, and I'll post the relevant dates for rising juniors (current sophys) as soon as I steal--I mean gather-- the relevant data for you. I have been meeting with sophomores for the past couple of days to help generate ideas for their future schedules; please see me before or after school or in the Writing Center if you feel that you need more than a few minutes to go over your schedule ideas before Guidance meets with you.

2. Tax Season is here! If you are employed and need to file, you can file for free online with any number of services (I use TurboTax, but I am not endorsing them over anyone else. Find a service that is efficient and free, unless you file with your parents.) Some of you don't need to file, but if you qualify for a refund I would take the time to do it. Also, our Academy of Finance students have done tax work in the past--see Mr. Daniel in the Magnet Suite over the gym to find out when/where you can receive tax assistance.

3. FCAT Writes! is on February 10. All sophomores will be excused from their morning classes (typically first and second period only) to participate in this writing test. Unfortunately, this year the FCAT Writes! falls on the same date as the AMC for some of you--see me ASAP so I can add your name to the list of students who need alternative testing arrangements for FCAT Writes! I also want to take this opportunity to clarify: FCAT Writes! will not impact your status at graduation, but the score DOES go on your final transcript and might be a qualifying factor when determining placement in VCC or AP classes. Please, please--especially you sarcatic types--take this test seriously, and write competently, clearly, and well. The topic will probably not be that fabulous, but use it as an opportunity to show off your command of diction and syntax. YOU CAN DO IT.