Sunday, September 14, 2008

Monday, September 15, 2008

Can you believe that it's halfway through September already?

So much to do today, kids. Tragically, a typical Monday for so many of us. I'll be in 313 early in the morning, preparing for the onslaught and entering grades. Progress reports will go home at the end of this week, so if you think you're missing anything, come see me. I will happily print a grade slip for any student who asks nicely. Before class would be ideal--please don't interrupt one of my award-winning, deeply focused lectures to ask for your grade. (Note sarcasm regarding both descriptors of said lectures--I think my train derails as much as Listort's. I'm working on it, people. ADHD doesn't just affect adolescents.)

Announcements: Writing Center is open tomorrow! And sophys get textbooks tomorrow! and the fire drill that might have been scheduled for first period might have been rescheduled for third period in light of the Florida State counselor coming to speak to seniors in the auditorium. (Seniors, you can still get a pass before school from Mrs. Cadman in College and Career--and I highly recommend going if you are even contemplating attending this school. Relationships with college reps are exempt from "familiarity breeds contempt." Let them know who you are, and see your passion for attending their school. Do not show up and declare that "if I don't get in at my dream school, going to School A might not be too horrible". That happened last year, and it wasn't pretty for that kid.)

Sophys: After sharing our HW (grammar errors found in the public sphere; should be entertaining) we will have Amy Tan as our Author of the Day. We will also take notes on genres and review what we learned about irony--and do some more grammar! It will be a great, informative day.

APees: Two academic focii: (Latin scholars--is that the appropriate plural, or should I just say "focual points" and remove any doubt?) A) Glaysher, part II, and B) review for the super-duper ORex test tomorrow.

Word of the Day: picayune: (adjective) something trivial (oddly, there are several newspapers called "The Picayune"--I do not think it means what they think it means.)