Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Thursday, September 25, 2008

According to Eric K., today is National Comic Book Day. Please don't spend hours regaling me with the advantages Aqua Man has over Batman. Can't do it. Just can't.

Sophys:

1. Reminder that The Count of Monte Cristo is now due on October 9. This is a major extension in my world, so don't take advantage of it--and don't think you can just get the book on tape or see the movie and you''ll be okay. You have had TWO state-sanctioned reading days in class, and a very thorough character list to assist you, and you've had a while for reading. A handful of students are finished already. Please, please, please read this awesome book--we have three assignments related to it and reading this book may impact your future studies! I will remind you again in class AND we'll have a Book Talk Q&A one day next week to clarify any "confusement." Yes, that's not a word; I'm just trying to be funny. Ha ha.

2. Today! Antigone! What will she do next? Goodness--the poor girl. Oh, and some grammar. I love grammar. It is your friend, and you should love it, too.

APees: Finish and review Act II in all of its finery.

Community Service: As you know, I am no longer working with the Orlando Shakespeare Festival due to an ideological parting of the ways. If you are interested in volunteering with them, there are other groups in the Orlando community who usher for them and I'm sure they'd love to have you, or if you're 18 you can volunteer as an individual. There are other opportunities for community service here at Boone, and frankly I could use some help before school with some stuff. It's not particularly challenging work, but a lot of things are still missing from the summer and might be packed into the boxes that line the walls. If you are interested in earning comm serv in or out of my classsroom, see me and I will gratefully A) use you and give you hours directly or B) put you in touch with the right agency.