Sunday, February 22, 2009

Monday, February 23, 2009

Quick Announcements:

1. I will be unable to stay after school tomorrow for application help or tutoring due to a family medical issue. See me if you need anything during regular school hours and we'll work something out.

2. Don't forget Pasta for Pennies this week. . .and Change for Education! I suggested bringing 26 cents--a penny to annoy the government, and a quarter for cancer research. Of course, if you can find more, bring more. I will be bringing my entire piggy bank.

3. For those who are observant, Lent begins on Wednesday, February 25 and goes through April 11. Have you thought about what you'd like to give up for Lent? (If you do not celebrate Lent, but are curious about Lenten practices, there are a wealth of resources available online that can explain the custom. Typically one is to give up something important for the forty days, to symbolize self-sacrifice and increase thoughtfulness. The worst challenge I ever had was the year I gave up caffeine and cursing. I lasted three days before a student brought me a Diet Cok and demanded I drink it.)

Curriculum:

Sophys: Elements of Style quiz, after a quick review; Othello, Act III.

APees: Awesome timed writing in preparation for AP exam; the topic is insightful, but really creepy. You'll laugh; you'll cry; it's better than Cats. Actually, it's not, but I love the topic. Creepy and discomfiting, and all about the College Board's desire to make you life-long learners and thinkers.