Monday, August 08, 2005

Monday, August 8, 2005

Now that we have met each other. . .

AP Literature: Today we went over the syllabus and talked about the first focus paper. Fifth period also received another copy of the 120 Literary Terms I gave out during (well, for some of you) sophomore year, for review. I will distribute to first period tomorrow.

Tomorrow we will have our first fully fledged discussion of Gatsby and Heart of Darkness. Come prepared!

Gifted IV: Today we went over the syllabus and learned about the basic etymology of the English language. Tomorrow, you will be attending the senior assembly during my class, so your check-reading test on 1984 will be on Wednesday.

Gifted II: Today I gave you a plethora of handouts--the syllabus, the 120 Literary Terms, the Gifted English Style Sheet, the first writing assignment (first draft due Friday) and a handout on existential philosophy. Welcome to class! Tomorrow, we are taking a fabulous check-reading test on your summer reading--if you are a recent emigre from the Magnet program, you will write an informal essay on Something Wicked This Way Comes.

ALL STUDENTS: Thanks for a terrific first day. You are amazing kids with amazing energy, and I am sure that I will learn as much from you as you can learn from me. Have a great evening!