Thursday, March 05, 2009

Friday, March 6, 2009

My seventh period class, no doubt disgusted by all of the nose-blowing and wretched coughing, and worried about my increasingly pink cheeks (fever is 101, thanks) talked me into getting a sub tomorrow. That flu that detonated many of my students has taken over my reality, which means that for the first time in my teaching history I am out for three consecutive Fridays. Am I happy about this? Not at all. Last week, I took my mother for a mandatory CAT scan, tomorrow is Fever Day, and next Friday is Dental Woe Recovery Day. March madness continues, and stinks. 2009 is just not opening well!!!

Sophys: Peer edit for rough draft. Your substitute will go around and stamp each rough draft; when you submit the final draft by March 13, 2009, no stamp on the rough draft =woe. Be sure you are stamped!!! The peer edit will be less complicated than last time; read for five minutes, then trade. Ten minutes total. Afterwards, you may watch The Great Smothering in the film. Hint: Othello does not have a happy ending.

APees: The substitute will distribute the Jane Eyre focus paper assignment. For those of you who have already finished the novel, I strongly suggest using the period to plan your paper and find evidence. For the rest of you--the vast majority--READ*. This novel needs to come to a conclusion. Also, if you have the money for Heart of Darkness, hang on to it until Monday--I am ordering books today regardless, and have ordered a few extras. We can settle up on Monday.

*READ does not mean free period, or going to Bakery Plus, or playing with your CrackBerry. It means READING one of the greatest novels of all time. READ.