Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It's DECEMBER!!!!!! Can you believe it??????

Okay. Couple of announcements first, peeps:

1. The Honors Breakfast is during first period tomorrow; please check in with me if you are in that class so I don't erroneously mark you absent. You all know how talented I am with ProgressBook; let's not exacerbate the woe! The breakfast will start at 6:45 for those of you who don't want to miss a morning class, but I swear I won't hold it against you if you decide to go. We can review Candide more on Thursday. No worries. Benchmark Testing for English will be Tuesday or Thursday next, so don't panic.

2. Guidance will be visiting all the AP classes on Thursday at the beginning of the period to go over your Bright Futures login. This website will allow you to track your financial aid and determine if you qualify for the 75% (now more like 56%) or the 100% (now more like 84%) scholarships, but the cool thing is that you can also track other state-based funding here, too. Let me share with you from prior experience: DO NOT LOSE YOUR PASSWORD after you create it. Make it something memorable. DOE will take FOREVER to help you track it if lost, and no one at BHS can help you. Oy.

So. . .today! It's Wednesday! Whoo!

Periods 1 and 2: For those not attending the Honors Breakfast, a review of Candide and a chance to rewatch something funny if you are so inclined. Second period will probably have a whole-class lesson on the political symbolism of the novel.

Periods 3-7: Instead of doing a Timed Writing for this month, we're going to do a Timed Outline, which will take you the same amount of effort/ingenuity/timed performance. Here's the rationale: The AP Lit (and Lang) exams are READING TESTS more than they are writing tests. In other words, you need to be able to write clearly, coherently, and intelligently, but if you have nothing to say you cannot write your way out of it. Interpretation is everything. I will give you a passage (p. 140 in the CLIFF book) that is likely to appear in some iteration on the exam, and you will have the period to generate a thesis statement, find support, and outline your product. The emphasis is on READING. And I think you will enjoy the passage. I know I did.

Squee!

If you need hours, I can help today--I already have two lovely assistants coming in after school to tidy up and record some data, so more help is welcome. Let me know; I have a teacher coming in for some assistance with satire at the same time. Love to all!!!