Monday, August 17, 2009

First Days

Dear Students,

You probably rec'd an erroneous ConnectEd call that suggested hilariously that school starts October 24. While that might be the American Dream for some of you, I regret to inform you that school does start next Monday--AUGUST 24, at 7:20 in the morning. You will have a homeroom that morning before first period to pick up your schedule, but seniors will be able to get an advanced peek at their schedules on Friday afternoon from 1-3. Bring a combination lock for your locker (yay!) and don't be surprised when you see your schedule--last year they were listed by alphabetical order and NOT in the actual periods you will have the classes.

We finished the first day of pre-planning today and things are looking good for the upcoming year. I met the new band directors and the new chorus teacher, and they all seem terrific. We have some new members of our staff, in addition to the fine arts department, and I think you will be pleased by everyone's commitment to your education.

That said, you can't get an education unless you are prepared for it! I hope that you are finishing your summer reading, since EVERYONE in ALL of my classes are taking a check-reading test on Tuesday, August 25 barring any assemblies or fun fire drills. Sophys will be tested on The Stranger and Death of a Salesman, and APees will be tested on The Great Gatsby, The Awakening, and Madame Bovary. Be prepared. I can be mean. :-)

I am finishing my syllabi and will have them posted on the BHS website, but you will each receive a copy on Monday for your notebook. A couple of notes to prepare in advance:

1. You will need a notebook/folder for my class. I don't care what kind--it could be a festive Ziploc bag for all I care--but you need to have your materials organized and readily accessible to maximize success in my class.
2. Plan to leave your electronic devices OFF in my class, or they will be confiscated and given to the Discipline Office for processing. I am egocentric enough to think that my class is interesting and needs your attention, not the Poke the Dot game on your iPhone or your BlackBerry or iPod or whatever.
And be warned--if the FCC adjusts the Telecommunications Act of 1934 this fall, as they might, you won't be able to text or call in my class due to an awesomely nefarious device I found. Yup. No more surreptitious cheating in 313! A new day is dawning for American education.
3. Bring a pencil AND a pen.
4. If you have not already done so, get yourself a professional e-mail address--I prefer GMail, but yahoo or hotmail are just fine. And by "professional" I mean something with which college or job wouldn't mind corresponding. "DanielSmith@aol.com" is infinitely preferable to "Igotskillz@aol.com." You might want to do the same for your cell phone's voice mail, too, for college recruiters, employers, and coaches. "Hello, this is Sarah; please leave a message" is far superior to subjecting your audience to three minutes of "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-A-Lot. A sense of humor is wonderful, but all of you are entering a highly competitive workspace and you don't want to look incapable of the challenge. Just some friendly advice.

Enjoy your last few days of break!!!