Sunday, October 18, 2009

Friday, October 23, 2009

We are launching into the last week of the first quarter; if you owe any make-up work, now is the time. This weekend, I plan to do nothing but A) hang around at Saturn of Orlando, grading focus papers and B) hang around at a coffee shop, grading focus papers. And make-up work. I finally have the hang (knock on wood) of ProgressBook and everyone should be updated, God willing and the creek don't rise. (Pardon the cliche. Friday posts bring out the best in me.)

Wear Orange and White today! Yay Boone!

Gifted English II: Accept proposals for alternate Authors of the Day, then move on to things fantastic and sublime. In the yellow textbook is a bizarre little story called "The Cold Equations" that was written in the 1950's, back when science fiction was sort of a Tomorrowland kind of vision, very Jetsons-esque. Except that this story is creepy as all-get-out, and it might inspire the kind of weird fanfiction of which some of you are so enamored. This is the kind of story that inspired George Lucas, Charles-in-first-period. You'll love it or hate it, but either way, I guarantee a reaction.

APeeps: Collect focus papers and host a Title Parade, followed by an immediate surge of interest re: Hamlet, Act I. So many questions, so little time: Why on earth did the smartest man in the room get passed over for King? Is it merely a manifestation of the law of tanistry, or are wickier things afoot? And why do we open with a ghost scene? And why are all these Italian dudes hanging out in Denmark? What's up with that?

On a personal note, to seniors only: This is the first year I have attempted to teach this play after burying my father, and since I maintain that this is a tragedy about three sons mourning three fathers, I might have a hard time with this one. Or not. I can gird myself with hoops of steel if need be, to misquote the play. Just saying. I might get more emo than Hamlet himself, so beware. I'll try to behave and stay pumped up with chai tea lattes. But for the record, I really loved my dad and I miss him, and he loved this play tremendously.