Sunday, October 04, 2009

Monday, October 5, 2009

Autumn is upon us, and Homecoming Week is approaching swiftly! I have a puppet show prepared for all of you that may or may not make a difference in your lives, but I assure you of this: at least you will know which fork to use at dinner, and the origins of a cummerbund, and what the Cow of Despair has to say about making bad moral decisions to celebrate a dance. You are precious young people with your whole lives ahead of you, and I want you to be safe, and happy, and well. Thus: The Homecoming Puppet Show. Brace yourselves. And if you mess up, you will see my face, and it will not be happy.

Gifted English II: The Author of the Day today is David Foster Wallace, a talented young writer who died last fall after a life-long battle with depression. I might get teary; he is one of my favorite writers, and his death left me shellshocked last year. I do think you need to know about him, though, as his words are his legacy. Afterwards, we will review Lit Terms 101-120, then finish Antigone: The Exodos and final Ode. If all goes well this week, we can have another Monte Cristo Reading Day on Wednesday. Note: Some of you need to get serious about this course, and I will be inviting a handful of you to change seats to best ameliorate your temptation to chat in class or focus only on the humor. I know we laugh a lot in class, but the goal is to learn while we are laughing, and some of you are just lost in a sea of adolescent giggles. No more, my peeps. No more.

APees: MacStuff, Act V. This entire act is pretty much all falling action, leading to an inevitable denouement. Will MacDuff exact his revenge? Will young Malcolm be worthy of his new responsibilities? Will Lady Macbeth manifest her guilt in a shocking way? Will the witches make another appearance? Will Kanye West have something to say about the final battle sequence and its choreography? Inquiring minds want to know, and merely have to attend AP Lit to find out!!!

POETRY READING HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY, OCTOBER 9. SNACKS WILL BE PROVIDED. YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE THEM, BECAUSE I MIGHT BAKE THEM.

PTSA Parent Night is Tuesday, October 6 at 6:30 p.m. Please encourage your parents to attend.