Sunday, August 17, 2008

August 18, 2008

Happy First Day of School! I hope we can avoid the onslaught of Tropical Storm/Semi-Hurricane Fay, but I'm not above teaching at Barnes and Noble in the event that classes are postponed on Tuesday due to high winds. Not mandatory, of course. I just really like teaching. And today's my birthday and I'll teach if I want to.

A few announcements: SENIOR ASSEMBLY tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, 3rd period--Fay may interrupt that. SOPHY ASSEMBLY Thursday 3rd period. And we are absolutely, positively NOT having a fire drill on Friday during sixth period. Nope. We're not allowed to have advance notice of those events, but I'd wear casual shoes and bring an umbrella on Friday in case we absolutely don't go out to the field together, say, during sixth period. I will fail to inform you with more details on Thursday.

APees: Syllabus, quotation from Gustav Flaubert, notice of the first focus paper, academic vocabulary. Your homework this week will involve preparing for a handful of quizzes, writing (re-writing, right?) your first focus paper, and signing up for an account on www.turnitin.com. If you ever have a question, concern, or existential crisis, you can reach me at either jennifer.hilley@ocps.net OR at hilleyj@gmail.com. Just don't be surprised if Charlotte Bronte or some other famous author writes back. . .I like pseudonyms on Gmail.

Sophys: Syllabus, first paper assignment, 20 literary terms, guidelines for writing folder and author of the day. Your homework this week will involve preparing for a check-reading quiz that might be postponed due to Fay, working on your first rough draft for peer review, and studying 20 literary terms. Our first grammar review will be next week. Please read over your syllabus for Quarter One and check the board each day for the agenda; I update this blog nightly and it's another good resource for staying on top of your work. And I think that the new planners are really, really cute! USE THEM!!!! You will also be creating an account at turnitin--check the contact info above for the APees. My contact data is also on page one of your syllabus.

And please don't be overwhelmed this week, guys--there are many things going on, and some changes we all have to (bitterly) adjust to. When in doubt, remember my key phrase for getting through life's funny little challenges: OPTIMISM NOW! Or, if you don't trust me--the immortal words of Douglas Adams: DON'T PANIC.