Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thursday, August 28, 2008

I am sorry that this post is a little bit later than my normal pattern; I was watching Project Runway and got caught up in a lengthy post-show commentary about fashion, creativity, and the nature of this particular challenge. There are many, many things afoot at BHS tomorrow and here are the reminders!!!

LOCKERS will be distributed through your fourth period classes tomorrow. Each teacher has been given ten lockers for their class to somehow divide up, which seems like a cruelty joke until you realize that we have twice as many students as lockers, and the seniors have already ganked theirs. Sophomores: The back shelves WILL be cleared this week and you may leave your belongings in my classroom any time. I know the locker situation is unfortunate, but our new classroom building, complete with hundreds of new lockers, is still several years off. You may graduate from college before Boone gets new lockers; I really don't know. But in order to ameliorate your discomfort, come leave some stuff in my room!!!

UNDERCLASS PICTURES will be taken in the gym, so I will walk my sophys over there first and second period. Pictures are free if you just want to be in the yearbook, but you have the option to purchase them as well. If you forgot your money, have a weird face tomorrow, or are absent, the make-up day is next month.

TEXTBOOKS will be given out at some point. I'm still fuzzy on the details. Since my classes are still working on summer reading-related assignments, I haven't really noticed the lack of textbook, but I'm sure other teachers have and are trying to adjust. I'll let you know as soon as I know. If you have lost your student ID please go to the Media Center before or after school, or during lunch, to get a new one for the low, low price of five bucks. You'll need the ID to check out all of your textbooks with our new space-age distribution program.

The mandatory FIRE DRILL that we weren't having tomorrow during fifth period has now been rescheduled to not happen during the first five minutes of fifth period on Friday instead. Anticipating hot weather, I will be toting a battery-operated portable fan when this doesn't happen.

Now, on to curriculum. Whew.

Gifted English II: Our Author of the Day today is the awesome, awesome Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Then we have a field trip to the gym for pictures, followed by much rejoicing. If we get back on time we'll have a Title Parade for your first paper and make the transition to the first outside reading assignment.

APees: A handful of you in each class need to finish the multiple-choice practice session before se can start going over the passages; those of you who are already finished are welcome to peruse the Allusion Review packet or review your answers before we assess the damage and see how we did as a group. Also, I want to review with you before we take our awesome MB check-reading quiz tomorrow in class. It's a lulu but it's not too difficult.