Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Friday, November 13, 2009

Dear Students,

Now, I'm really not here. By the time school starts on Friday morning I will be airborne, with any luck, over the metropolitan Orlando area, alighting for a journey to Las Vegas for a wedding. I'm not a fan of Las Vegas in principle, but I'm going in good spirits to support my friend on her wedding day, and I will have my laptop with me for weekend tutoring. I lead a wild, wild life; I am going to Vegas, and I am most excited about the handbag shopping and the wireless internet access.

Be good! Be good! And Varsity football players--destroy the Edgewater team!

Gifted English II: In the satire packet, read the brilliant and hilarious "Top of the Food Chain" by T.C. Boyle, and answer the related questions. You haven't lived until you've envisioned cats in parachutes, "twirling down from the sky like giant oversized snowflakes." We will be doing a media literacy mini-unit Monday morning partially contingent on your understanding of these three pieces--Swift, Twain, and Boyle. Read, grow, understand. Content vocabulary for the novel Candide will be on the board for a quiz next week, as well.

APeeps: Multiple Choice practice session #4. Scantrons are on the front table; do as much as you can. This time, I am logging the scores, and if it seems you Christmas-treed your responses, it will not go well for you. Full credit for honest attempts. Remember that you are shooting for fifty percent for a 3, sixty-five percent for a 4. . .and so on. SHOOT HIGH.