Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ahhhhh, Thursday--the day of the week in which the weekend is just a glimpse away, when people can see unfettered freedom lurking in the corners of their thoughts, when the anticipation of two whole days to get caught up on tasks and errands and grades just builds. . .and this Thursday, with the weather finally cooling a bit, there is more optimism than ever!

Gifted English II: First period still needs to go over the expectations for the focus paper assignment, and then we will review the Poe vocabulary words and their definitions. You could do a lot worse than imitate Poe's diction; he was a master of high-level lexicon and probably would have had an awesome SAT score. Afterwards, a brisk and mighty discussion of "Pit and the Pendulum". FOCUS PAPER DUE TOMORROW BY 3:30 p.m.

APeeps: After looking carefully at the language of Hamlet, Act II, scene ii's soliloquy, we will take a festive quiz on the Act in its entirety. Warning: Quotes. I love quotes. My most (in)famous quiz questions usually start with, "Who said this, to whom, and why?" HAHAHAHAHAHA. Know thy play, children. Know thy play. After all, "The play's the thing/Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king."

Announcement and Request:

If anyone still wants to go to Ireland for Spring Break, let me know. I have to add you before 2009 is out due to new travel regulations. Last year we could add people as late as January, but with TSA and new passport stuff we need more lead time. Let me know OR plan to attend a final travel sales meeting on Tuesday, December 8 in room 313 at 7 p.m.

And if anyone knows how to make italics on Facebook chat windows, or for that matter in e-mails I send from www.turnitin.com, I'd appreciate some insight. My HTML is at about a four-year-old's level (heck, my nephew knows more than I do) and I can't stand not italicizing things. With a friend's help I figured out how to BOLD things (asteriskWHATYOUWANT BOLDEDasterisk) but I can't figure out italics. Thanks!